Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Why aren’t the tenants of Frederick Douglass Houses fed up and mad as hell

Without struggle there is no progress-Frederick Douglass
Last night I came home to a sign that said: “No hot water from 4pm until further notice”. Living in NYCHA that could mean weeks or months. I went to the management office this morning to speak to my housing assistant but she had to go to court. I asked the receptionist to find out what was going on…and what did “until further notice” meant. She called maintenance and she told me that they told her that the hot water was turned on last night at 11pm. I told her it wasn’t, otherwise I would not have been there, duh! I went home to double check and called her to tell her that the hot water was NOT turned on. She transferred me to Mr. Richter. Nasty, nasty man. He told me that he was a “housing assistant” not maintenance – yeah, that means you are a liaison – anyway he was not helpful and hung up on me. I called several local politicians to find out what is going on and when is the hot water going to be turned on.What really upsets me is that Douglass Houses is a large development. Seventeen (17) buildings, 2,054 apartments, over 4,500 tenants. And I am the only one complaining. How humiliating. How insulting. The majority of the tenants are African Americans or Hispanic. Low income families. And they allow the New York City Housing Authority to treat them like animals. Douglass Houses is falling apart. NYCHA doesn’t care. The tenants don’t care. Why aren’t the tenants of Frederick Douglass Houses fed up and mad as hell with the inhumane, cruel, insulting treatment they receive from NYCHA? Would this happen in a building with a different tenant composition?

No comments: